11 January 2008

Must talk books..

I always have a couple of books on the go at one time.
I listen to audio books in the car on my iPod. There's a fabulous website www.audible.com  that is audio book central - downloads straight to iTunes. I am currently addicted to Elizabeth Peters novels. I completed the entire Amelia Peabody series (16 books, I think) - was heartbroken to finish, I fell in love with all of the characters - Emerson, Ramses and Amelia is simply sensational. I've now been onto the Vicky Bliss series which are very entertaining - such crazy adventures.
I recently finished a fabulous novel by William Boyd called Restless. Set in the UK, it's the story of a single mother who finds out that her own Mum (who lives in a quaint little cottage in a remote village and spends her time tending her garden) used to be a spy during World War 2. What a revelation! Really enjoyed this book - just goes to show that however much you think you know someone, doesn't really mean you  know them. I will have to keep an eye out for more of William Boyd's books - really liked his style.
Another great book that I listened to was The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. The lovely thing about the book is that there is a website that accompanies it that you can chat with other readers (and knitters). www.walkeranddaughter.com
I was so involved with the characters that it was fabulous to find other people who felt the same way - the book will never die! Apparently there is a movie being made from the book with Julia Roberts playing the lead role, Georgia. 
I think that's all I want to say for now - I may very well get another revelation in a minute & continue, but we'll see how the afternoon goes.
The sun is shining....

No comments: